The Sustainable Forestry Initiative® is a fully independent, non-profit organization that promotes sustainable forest management.
By SFI® working closely with conservation groups, local communities, resource professionals and landowners, it includes measures to protect water quality, biodiversity, wildlife habitat, species at risk and forests with exceptional conservation value.
To obtain SFI® chain of command certification, users must account for the wood fiber that comes directly from an SFI® certified forest, and ensure that the non-certified fiber is not from illegal sources and follow the strict procurement objective in the SFI standard.
MBI Direct Mail Commitment to the SFI®
As part of our overall sustainability initiative, MBI Direct Mail has voluntarily chosen to comply with the principles and requirements of Chain-of-Custody programs endorsed by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)™ and Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI)®. We are audited yearly by an independent 3rd party to ensure our customers that we meet these requirements. Forest certification programs provide and assurance mechanism to purchasers of wood and paper products that the wood used in the products comes from responsibly managed forests. Responsibly managed forests are those who supply chain participants and implement performance standards based on internationally agreed environmental, social and economic requirements.
We support paper manufacturers that prescribe to the following principles and disciplines:
The Sustainable Forestry Initiative® program integrates the perpetual growing and harvesting of trees with the protection of wildlife, plants, soils, and water.
- Protect endangered and high conservation value forests
- Guarantee that no more wood is harvested than is re-grown
- Trees are replanted or naturally regenerated after harvesting
- Integrate social concerns including the right of indigenous communities worldwide
- Encourage local employment
- Guarantee that the forests are maintained as a habitat for wild animals and plants
- The functions of the forest for the protection of soil and climate are protected